Prep Time: 45 Minutes Start to Finish: 1 Hour 40 Minutes Makes: 8 servings
9 uncooked whole wheat lasagna noodles
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 boxes (9 oz each) frozen artichoke hearts,
thawed, well drained
3 tablespoons pine nuts
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 container (15 oz) fat-free or reduced-fat
1½ cups shredded reduced-fat Italian cheese
blend or part-skim mozzarella cheese (6 oz)
1 cup chopped fresh or 2 tablespoons dried
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups fat-free (skim) milk
Chopped tomato, if desired
Chopped fresh parsley, if desired
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Cook noodles as directed on package, omitting salt and oil and using minimum cook time. Drain; rinse with cold water to cool. Drain well; lay noodles flat.
2. Meanwhile, in 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add artichokes, pine nuts and garlic; cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until lightly browned. In large bowl, stir together artichoke mixture, ricotta cheese, ½ cup of the Italian cheese, half of the basil, the egg and salt. Set aside.
3. In 2-quart saucepan, stir broth and flour with whisk until smooth. Stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until sauce is slightly thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in remaining basil.
4. In ungreased 13×9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish, spread 1 cup of the sauce. Top with 3 noodles. Carefully spread one-third of the ricotta mixture (about 11⁄3 cups) evenly over noodles. Top with onethird of the remaining sauce (about 2⁄3 cup). Sprinkle with 1⁄3 cup of the remaining Italian cheese. Repeat layers twice more, beginning with noodles and ending with Italian cheese.
5. Bake uncovered about 40 minutes or until thoroughly heated and top is lightly browned. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with tomato and parsley.
1 Serving: Calories 290 (Calories from Fat 90); Total Fat 8g (Saturated Fat 2.5g; Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 40mg; Sodium 380mg; Total Carbohydrate 31g (Dietary Fiber 8g); Protein 19g % Daily Value: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 10%; Calcium 30%; Iron 10% Exchanges: 2 Starch, ½ Vegetable, 1½ Medium-Fat Meat Carbohydrate Choices: 2
Sprinkling 1 cup chopped tomato and 2 tablespoons chopped parsley on top
of each serving adds only 25 calories per serving and is an easy way to garnish